Principles of business practice
We affirm that work is a central element of our calling in God's creation, and can be be done in cooperation with his purposes for our world.
Hence we are committed to operating our community businesses in a manner which:
- is ethical, responsible and sustainable;
- fulfills our ethical and legal obligations;
- ensures competent management of the enterprise, finances and personnel involved;
- contributes positively to the life, economy and development of our towns and regions;
- provides opportunities for our trainees to develop and enhance relevant skills;
- fosters positive relationships amongst co-workers, with business colleagues and with those we are serving;
- provides a cash flow to each local Cornerstone community which operates a business;
- contributes to cover our central administration costs;
- makes business profit available for use in community and training activities.
In many respects our businesses are shaped by counter-cultural perspectives, where the emphases of our business practice and operation rest upon building and fostering a whole of life commitment to the Kingdom of God.
This is perhaps best summarised by the vision statement of Cornerstone's business managers:
Our purpose is to serve the Kingdom of God to the maximum capability of our gifts and talents. To achieve this we will:
- Disciple those who spend time in our workplace;
- Do our utmost to support the wider operations of our Communities’ mission;
- Expand the Kingdom of God through the operation of a mission-minded business;
- Encourage each other in our walk with the Lord, ensuring that it is a priority amongst the busyness.
Our goal is that members of Cornerstone find working in our businesses a fulfilling calling in itself, as the 'fruit' of their labour is put to work in making a difference in society. Also, the workplace provides an ideal environment for training in the 'classroom' to be put into practice, so we place a strong emphasis on mentoring in the workplace. We work hard to assist the development of attitudes, habits and character in workplaces where the lessons of life are experienced and properly de-briefed. As a result, many of our students are highly sought after as employees after they have finished their time with us.
We also want to provide opportunities for those with a calling to integrate business involvement with discipleship. We do this through training and experiences that develop business skills and assimilate a thoroughly Christian perspective on business and the workplace. Our businesses provide an excellent environment for the business-minded to pursue a fulfilling and rewarding vocational path that combines management abilities with their calling as disciples of Jesus.